Thursday 12 November 2009

Senior Moment?

All I know is, I was building a paella. I hadn't managed to buy a red pepper, because the supermarket I went to (yes, I know, I shoulda gone to the market, but it was the middle of the afternoon, so they were siesta-ing) would only sell me a bag of five, and we can't eat that many before they rot. So I bought a jar of pickled peppers.

I was struggling to open this jar when my phone rang. It was the boss telling me her ETA. No problem. I returned to the kitchen. Couldn't find the jar of peppers anywhere. Looked in the bin, all the cupboards, the oven, the fridge. Gone. Abducted by space aliens, more than likely. So I started writing this and then remembered: I'd put it in the freezer, because that sometimes makes things easier to open.

So I've got it now. Still can't get the fucker open though.

8 comments:

Pamela Stocks said...

Tap the rim of any jar lid lightly and repeatedly on any hard surface until the vacuum seal is disturbed. The lid will pop off with no trouble and no strength required after that.

Jayne said...

It happens to us all Keefie :-)
(the distraction & memory loss that is!) Don't they have that little round rubber grip thingy for opening jars in your neck of the woods?

Seabee said...

Freeze it Keefie? Wrong end of the temperature scale - metal expands in heat, so you just need to run some hot water on the lid.

hut said...

Turn it upside down, whack the bottom of the jar with your fist and its contents will plop against the lid, displacing the vacuum with a sort of "fffffTT"

nzm said...

I use Nobody's tip (but I tap the edge of the lid with the back of a knife) and Jen uses Nick's. Both work!

How was the paella, Keefie? ;.)

CafeMark said...

I use Seebee's technique - place the lid under hot water, and it should expand. However make sure to grip the lid with a towel or cloth otherwise it won't be the peppers burning!

MADrid REDS said...

At least you're not quite at this point of senior thinking... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8365665.stmseleav

Anne Lyken-Garner said...

Hi, Keefie boy, came across your blog and just wanted to stop in and say hi. What's up fellow Autho? Do you still hang out there?

Anne