Wednesday 3 March 2010

Perfect Pork Pie - Part Three

So, here it is:



I'm the first to admit there's room for improvement, but it was still better than edible. The pastry needs to be firmer to help it hold a better shape. The filling I think will be better once I've got me a grinder and can do it with proper meat. I actually put too much pepper in, and it could have done with a pinch of salt (I try to avoid using salt, but sometimes you've just got to). And the jelly, well, I should have left it alone.  Adding the soy sauce and reducing it more just made it unpleasantly strongly flavoured.

So, I may try this again next week. And given that the alternative in Spain is no pork pies at all, I'm quite happy.

2 comments:

MADrid REDS said...

Keep up the sterling work Keef and let me know when the recipe is perfected! Maybe the Proper Sausage Co. here in Madrid will buy the recipe off you to add to their range...

Keef said...

Is that our ex-neighbour? Made Batch 2 t'other day with improved pastry-forming, filling-moulding and lid-cutting process (used a small tumbler). Wanna meet the sausage guys.