- A test run, melting some sugar to form something like toffee
- Cheese on toast - our grill has never been up to this job, but melting cheese onto pieces of buttered toast takes a matter of minutes and tastes delicious
- Browning pale-looking meringue: be careful, you can easily turn it into a blackened and inedible Vesuvius
- The classic excuse for buying a blowtorch, créme brûlée. I admit, I cheated with the custard base - used a shop-bought 'flan' mix. Melted a spoonful of sugar on top of each custard to form a wonderful caramelly crunchy layer
- Crisping up some leftover chicken skin
- Cheese on toast again
- Adding some colour to cheeseburger baked in a flatbread parcel
- Zapping pork belly skin to make perfect crackling
- 'Toffee apple' - a slice of apple coated in sugar caramelised with the blowtorch.
Not a bad investment, methinks.