Monday 22 September 2008

Wacky Food Meme

Jayne With A Why found this totally pointless but irresistible waste of time: 100 things you may or may not have eaten. It comes from Very Good Taste.

Copy this list, embolden the items you have tried, add sarcastic comments to taste. Then go to Very Good Taste and add to the millions of comments on that post.

1. Venison

2. Nettle tea (nope: I really only like tea that's made out of, like, tea)

3. Huevos rancheros (sounds Spanish - must o' done)

4. Steak tartare (only once though...)

5. Crocodile

6. Black pudding (fried and crunchy)

7. Cheese fondue (why?)

8. Carp (don't think so)

9. Borscht (beetroot, yeuch!)

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari

12. Pho

13. PB&J (peanut butter & jelly) sandwich

14. Aloo gobi

15. Hot dog from a street cart

16. Epoisses (???)

17. Black truffle 

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes

19. Steamed pork buns (how bizarre)

20. Pistachio ice cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes (???)

22. Fresh wild berries

23. Foie gras 

24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn, or head cheese (yueck: used to sell it when I worked on the deli counter at Sainsbury's - it was only ever bought by Martians)

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (hottest chilli on the planet, thank you but NO!)

27. Dulce de leche

28. Oysters (snot on a shell - not doing it again)

29. Baklava (not doing that again either)

30. Bagna cauda 

31. Wasabi peas

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl

33. Salted lassi (?? Lassi I think, yes)

34. Sauerkraut (yes, but, why)

35. Root beer float (root beer with a blob of ice cream? Yepp)

36. Cognac with a fat cigar (don't do cigars)

37. Clotted cream tea

38. Vodka jelly

39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail (one of my favourite Spanish dishes is rabo de torro)

41. Curried goat (half a point - roast goat, not curried)

42. Whole insects (no fucking way. Filleted is okay)

43. Phaal (not knowing)

44. Goat’s milk (made into cheese, yes)

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (wasted on me - I'd only put Coke in it)

46. Fugu (poisonous fish? feck off)

47. Chicken tikka masala (England's national dish - of course!)

48. Eel (not knowingly)

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (bleuch)

50. Sea urchin (bleuch)

51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi 

53. Abalone

54. Paneer 

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal 

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV 

59. Poutine (sounds good though - gotta lurve dem trans-fats)

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores 

62. Sweetbreads (I'd rather die)

63. Kaolin (strangely, yes (with morphine, right?))

64. Currywurst (made-up food)

65. Durian ('the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust...')

66. Frogs’ legs (the waitress who served it was a vegetarian friend, and she explained exactly how they got the legs when she took the order: first and last time)

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake 

68. Haggis 

69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (despite liking haggis, I couldn't stoop to chitterlings)

71. Gazpacho 

72. Caviar and blini

73. Louche absinthe 

74. Gjetost, or brunost 

75. Roadkill 

76. Baijiu 

77. Hostess Fruit Pie (???)

78. Snail 

79. Lapsang souchong

80. Bellini 

81. Tom yum 

82. Eggs Benedict 

83. Pocky

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant

85. Kobe beef 

86. Hare 

87. Goulash 

88. Flowers (the beer, yes, the plant product, no)

89. Horse (not knowingly)

90. Criollo chocolate (???)

91. Spam 

92. Soft shell crab (too much effort)

93. Rose harissa 

94. Catfish 

95. Mole poblano 

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta 

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee 

100. Snake

I don't know how they could have omitted the pinnacle of Scottish cuisine:

101. Deep-fried Mars Bar

7 comments:

Jayne said...

101 Deep Fried Mars Bars? (conjours up images of trying to scrape it off me dentures and/or trying to prize my jaws apart!
Some very interesting things on the list though I must say. I'll freely admit to being a wuss when it comes to meat & innards stuff. I'd lose weight rapidly if my diet consisted of the things I DON'T eat on that list!

Grumpy Goat said...

Mine is here.

As well as Mars-bar tempura, how about macaroni pie deep-fried in lard?

FX:Sound of Dr Atkins spinning in his grave.

Mme Cyn said...

My score: 58.5/100 (and I've also had #101 the dfMb)

#63-- Do they mean as in Kaopectate (my count is up to 59.5), or do they mean as in small child or pregnant woman with pica eating dirt? (Then no)

#76 -- not sure, but I've had Everclear, which is 170-190 proof grain alcohol, so that's even scarier (if it counts, then 60.5).

#68 -- YOU served me haggis, Keefie, hidden in an unsuspecting turkey cavity one Christmas!

BuJ said...

nice stuff!!! i got 27.5 hmm not very impressive eh?

i guess once you take alcohol and pig products.. that cuts out a lot.. funny they added things like calamari and lapsangsouchong.. nothing too fancy about those i think.. as well as goat's milk!! what's so special about that? ok it's not in high demand but everyone must have tried goat's cheese etc...

nice postie , keefie

Alexander said...

HMHB, myself and a number of very interesting young exotic dancers from a Latino troupe passing through Dubai shared a number of imbibements last night over a dish of wasabi peas as we celebrated a year of Fat Expatting...

Just thought you'd like to know that...

nzm said...

I've done my list here

Keefie, you may recognise one of my images!

Agnes Mildew said...

Good God! Unfortunately, I have attempted so many of these things. Is this what happens when we expatriate to the Middle East and holiday from there?!

Thankfully, I have never tried the National Dish of Glasgow - the Fried Mars Bar.

My heart thanks me, too.