Tuesday 17 February 2009

Save a Bit More of the World

An astonishing bit of news today. Most of the major mobile phone manufacturers have agreed to adopt a standard charger (sounds a bit Medieval and horsey, but you know what I mean). They must have read my earlier post about refilling printer cartridges.

We have a bag full of chargers for old phones, and I'm sure you have too. This move will eliminate the need for all that plastic rubbish.

The next thing I want to see happening, is buildings wired with low-voltage power outlets, so that I don't have to have a transformer-brick for every laptop, low-energy lamp, and all the other rubbish we have to have to live these days.

3 comments:

Graeme said...

I still remember going to the US without a plug adaptor and when I asked in my hotel if they might be able to help me they brought out the biggest box of chargers, plugs, power units etc that I have ever seen. I found what I needed.

Grumpy Goat said...

Your idea for a low-voltage direct-current circuit in the house is great, but it would require an astonishing amount of organisation on the part of manufacturers.

My laptop requires 16V, my Nokia a mere 9V. There are a lot of 12V accessories out there too, such as my printer/scanner.

At least I try to ensure that any mobile phone I buy is compatible with my current chargers. That way a new handset doesn't also involve a new car charger, office charger (that'd be the Sharjah charger), home charger...

leftbanker said...

I wish they could make appliances that ran on the burnt bodies of those obnoxious creeps who drive motor scooters. I figure that Spain has about a 200 year supply and Italy even more.